Tuesday, January 13, 2015

Ring A Ding Dial Tone- Real Grace Reflection #6

The fact that I am reflecting on Lutheran Outdoors Ministry of Texas' 2015 theme, REAL GRACE, is made possible, at least in part, by a misplaced phone call.

Prior to my freshman year of college, I had never heard of LOMT or one of its camps, Camp Lone Star. However, I had attended another youth camp located fairly close to Camp Lone Star in LaGrange, Texas. With the summer of 1988 approaching, an attempt to contact the camp I attended as a teenager (about possible summer employment) inadvertently led to a phone discussion with Craig Oldenburg at Camp Lone Star.  Oldenburg was putting together his summer staff, and after our conversation, he decided I would be a good fit.

In reflecting on REAL GRACE and LOMT, I can't help but be amazed by the way my life has been positively influenced (with blessings, challenges and more) ultimately as the result of a wrong phone number.

RING A DING, DIAL TONE

Ring a ding, dial tone
Call gone astray
Voice unexpected
Has something to say
A misunderstanding?
Handwriting misread?
A new speakers enters
The ears on my head
Perhaps, I misdialed
Hit a one or a two
When three was what I should have done
Or maybe my call, as it hurtled through space,
Was thrown off its course by the sun.

Though fingers were off
By a digit or two
It turns out they did what they needed to do
My bearing was east, that phone sent me west
It seemed misdirection, but spawned a great quest.

c2015 Mike Tauser

No comments:

Post a Comment