Monday, January 5, 2015

Smiles at McDonald's in Japan are Free- Real Grace Reflection #5

You will find below the result of my fifth reflection on Lutheran Outdoors Ministry of Texas' 2015 theme, REAL GRACE.  REAL GRACE is based on Ephesians 2:8-10, a passage which, among other things, assures us that we are created to do good works in Christ.

I take this to mean that part of the result of God's grace is that we are somehow given the means to carry out what he calls us to do.  The poem below is inspired by a unique event that happened to me when I lived/worked in Japan that I believe was a small part of my preparation to serve in that country.

I taught ESL for a congregation in Japan for two years.  They used their ESL school as a means of outreach to the community.  It was important for me to be able to speak Japanese to carry out my role effectively.  To this end, I received about six months of intensive language study before I was assigned to my post.  My teachers and classmates in Tokyo were great, but some of the best language training I got came when I left the classroom and tried speaking on the streets.  My favorite example of this experience is the launch point for the poem below, SMILES AT MCDONALD's IN JAPAN ARE FREE.

A few months into my language training, I visited a local McDonald's.  I couldn't read anything else on the menu, but even with my rudimentary reading skills, I could tell that (in Japanese) "Smiles" were listed as a free item.  It took me a few minutes to muster up the courage to add "One Smile" to my order, but getting that smile from the employee who took my order was one of my first Japanese language successes.  It gave me a confidence boost that lasted a few weeks at least.

I never would have thought that free smiles at McDonald's would have been a grace-filled blessing. Yet, on that day in Tokyo, they were.

SMILES AT MCDONALD's IN JAPAN ARE FREE

A gathering of good friends
Smiling memories and Joyful mouths
Being filled with delicious food
THAT is a Happy Meal!

Smiles at McDonald's in Japan are free
I think that I'd like one
I've never heard of this before
I'll try it.  It sounds fun

Smiles at McDonald's in Japan are free
Come rain, or sleet or snow
Sunny days, sweeping the clouds away
I will take mine to go

Secret sauce gives a stomach ease
Georgian cows will not be pleased
McRib is back again you say?
Grab a red pen, highlight the day
Too many cars in the drive thru line?
Add another lane
We'll squeeze through fine

One hungry beastie, I be
How many arches do you see?
Two to the left, three more to the right
Most of them stay gold all night

Smiles at McDonald's in Japan are free
Please, I'd like PI of those
I cannot help but smile back
Then 'round and round it grows

Smiles at McDonald's in Japan are free
Today, I'm craving three
In the name of the fries, and the Coke and the Big Mac
Scrumptious trinity

Sunday afternoon at McDonald's
I hope we beat the Baptists there
To super size or not on His day?
Tell me, do I dare?

Sunday afternoon at McDonald's
A post-liturgical treat
Breaking the bread of a sesame seed bun
There's nothing else so sweet

WOULD you like fries with that?
Would YOU like fries with that?
Would you LIKE fries with that?
Would you like FRIES with that?
Would you like fries WITH that?
Would you like fries with THAT?

Would you like a SMILE with that?
If it's free, of course,
All...day... long

Come, Lord Jesus, be our guest
Be our guest, please be our rest.

Amen

c2015 Mike Tauser

No comments:

Post a Comment