Monday, September 30, 2019

Thank You, Tim Howard


The video above features Tim Howard's 16 save performance in the 2014 World Cup against Belgium.  It is my favorite soccer memory (not including games that included my child). 

This was truly an impressive performance by Mr. Howard.  However to me, this soccer game is far from the most impressive thing about Tim.

In case you don't know, Howard has a neurological condition known as Tourette Syndrome.  During his career, he has been a great role model for individuals who share the condition, not allowing it to hamper him in any way as he pursues excellence in his chosen field.

In addition, he has been a consistent spokesman and advocate, promoting awareness of TS.  He is involved in an academy at Rutgers in his home state of New Jersey held for teenagers that have TS.  This annual event is designed to help teenagers learn more about TS and become more prepared to thrive with it as a part of their lives.

Personally, I have a vested interest in Tourette Syndrome, so Mr. Howard's efforts have been exceedingly meaningful and inspirational to me. 

Tim Howard's final game as a professional is scheduled for this weekend. I am sad to see him hang up his soccer kit, but I wish him the best off the pitch.  I look forward to hearing of his efforts in the years to come.

If you're looking for more information about Tourette Syndrome, I suggest you start your search with the New Jersey Center for Tourette Syndrome.

No comments:

Post a Comment