Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Here is What I Found out about Camp Beauregard




Shortly after hearing discussion about possibly renaming 10 U.S. military bases, I decided I needed to educate myself about the history behind the naming of these bases. My plan is to use this space to share what I learn.  

Camp Beauregard was originally established during World War I.  It is located in central Louisiana.  At this point, I have not found information about the naming of this camp.


He was born near New Orleans, Louisiana in 1918.  He attended West Point, where he received training in civil and military engineering.  He served as an engineer officer during the Mexican-American War.

In 1861, he was named the superintendent of the U.S. Military Academy.  However, shortly after his appointment, he resigned from the U.S Military and joined the Confederate army.

He was a Confederate commander at the first battle of the war, Fort Sumter.  He served through the entirety of the conflict.

Following the war, Beauregard returned to New Orleans and was active in that community until his death in 1893.  Over time, he became a strong supporter of voting rights and other civil rights for African Americans in his community in order to undermine Radical Republican control during Reconstruction.

Disclaimer:  I am not a professional historian.  I am doing this research of the stories behind the naming of U.S. Military bases because I think the knowledge I find will be of benefit to the discourse in the United States.  If you have information about any of my posts that you are willing to share I am glad to hear it.  You can contact me at farmstros@yahoo.com

No comments:

Post a Comment