Tuesday, June 23, 2020

Here's What I Found out about Fort Benning



Shortly after hearing discussion about possibly renaming 10 U.S. military bases, I decided I needed to educate myself about the history behind the naming of these bases. My plan is to use this space to share what I learn.  

Fort Benning is located in western Georgia.  It was established in 1918.  

Henry L. Benning was born in Georgia in 1814. He was a lawyer in that state beginning in 1835.  He also served for six years on the Georgia Supreme Court.  He helped draft Georgia's Orders of Succession shortly after  Lincolin's election in 1860.  

He served in the Confederate Army throughout the entirety of the war.  He reached the rank of Brigadier General.

Following the war, he returned to Georgia, resuming his law practice. He died in 1875 of a stroke.

The Rotary Club of Columbus, Georgia requested the military be named after Benning.  

Disclaimer:  I am not a professional historian.  I am doing this research of the stories behind the naming of U.S. Military bases because I think the knowledge I find will be of benefit to the discourse in the United States.  If you have information about any of my posts that you are willing to share I am glad to hear it.  You can contact me at farmstros@yahoo.com 




No comments:

Post a Comment