Friday, June 19, 2020

Here's What I Found out about Fort Rucker



Shortly after hearing discussion about possibly renaming 10 U.S. military bases, I decided I needed to educate myself about the history behind the naming of these bases. My plan is to use this space to share what I learn.  

Camp Rucker was opened in May 1942.  It is located in Southeast Alabama.  


Rucker was born in 1835 in Tennessee.  As an adult, he worked as a railroad surveyor and then became an engineer. He was the city engineer of Memphis in the late 1850s.

With the outset of the Civil War, he enlisted in the Confederate army.  He served under Lieutenant General Nathan Forrest. His highest rank was acting brigadier general, but that rank was never confirmed by the Confederate Congress.  

Following the war, Rucker worked in Tennessee and then Alabama.  Included in his endeavors was a railroad project undertaken with Forrest.  He achieved a significant level of success in business in Alabama.  He died in 1924.

Disclaimer:  I am not a professional historian.  I am doing this research of the stories behind the naming of U.S. Military bases because I think the knowledge I find will be of benefit to the discourse in the United States.  If you have information about any of my posts that you are willing to share I am glad to hear it.  You can contact me at farmstros@yahoo.com 


No comments:

Post a Comment