Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Here's What I found out about Fort Bragg



Shortly after hearing discussion about possibly renaming 10 U.S. military bases, I decided I needed to educate myself about the history behind the naming of these bases. My plan is to use this space to share what I learn.  

Fort Bragg is located near Fayetteville, North Carolina.  It was opened in 1918.

Braxton Bragg was born in 1817 in North Carolina.  He attended West Point, graduating in 1837.  He served as an officer in the U.S. Army in the second Seminole War and the Mexican-American War. He resigned from the Army in 1856 and became a sugar plantation owner in Louisiana.  

At some point during his time as a farmer, he joined the Confederate army and helped raise the Louisiana army.  He eventually achieved the rank of General in the Confederacy.  Later in the war, he served as President Davis's military advisor.  

Following the war, Bragg lived in Louisiana and Texas.  He died in Galveston, Texas in 1876.

Disclaimer:  I am not a professional historian.  I am doing this research of the stories behind the naming of U.S. Military bases because I think the knowledge I find will be of benefit to the discourse in the United States.  If you have information about any of my posts that you are willing to share I am glad to hear it.  You can contact me at farmstros@yahoo.com  





No comments:

Post a Comment