Wednesday, June 17, 2020

Here's What I Found Out about Fort Polk



Shortly after hearing discussion about possibly renaming 10 U.S. military bases, I decided I needed to educate myself about the history behind the naming of these bases. My plan is to use this space to share what I learn.  

Fort Polk is located in western Louisiana.  It opened in 1941.

Who was Polk?

Polk was born in Tennessee in 1806.  He was a second cousin to former president James K. Polk.  He attended and graduated from West Point. At West Point, he developed a close friendship with Jefferson Davis. Shortly after his graduation, Polk resigned his commission to pursue ordination as an Episcopal minister.

He served in various roles in the Episcopal church from 1830 until the start of the Civil War.  In 1841, he was consecrated as the Episcopal church's bishop of Louisiana.  While serving in that capacity, he also attempted to manage a sugar plantation with 400 slaves in that state.

In the five years leading up to the Civil War, Polk was primarily focused on establishing the University of the South.  The goal of this school was to supply clergy for the mid-South region.

In the Spring of 1861, Polk joined the Confederate army at the urging of Jefferson Davis, who was the Confederate president.  He entered the army with a rank of Major General.  I cannot find information of him reaching any rank higher than Major General. He was killed in battle in June of 1864.

I have not found any information regarding the process that led to Fort Polk being named after Leonidas Polk in 1941.

Disclaimer:  I am not a professional historian.  I am doing this research of the stories behind the naming of U.S. Military bases because I think the knowledge I find will be of benefit to the discourse in the United States.  If you have information about any of my posts that you are willing to share I am glad to hear it.  You can contact me at farmstros@yahoo.com




2 comments:

  1. I invite you to listen to this podcast by Professor Buzzkill on that puts the naming in historical context:

    https://professorbuzzkill.com/confed-bases/

    Best wishes

    ReplyDelete