Saturday, June 20, 2020

Here's What I Found out about Fort Gordon



Shortly after hearing discussion about possibly renaming 10 U.S. military bases, I decided I needed to educate myself about the history behind the naming of these bases. My plan is to use this space to share what I learn.  

Fort Gordon was established in 1941.  It is located in the north eastern part of Georgia.

This base is named after John Gordon who was born in Georgia in 1832.  Prior to the war, Gordon was a lawyer, and he also undertook the project of developing coal mines in northwestern Georgia.

During the war, Gordon reached a top rank of lieutenant general.  Following the war, he returned to Georgia to practice law.  At various times, he served as the state's governor and as Georgia's representative to the U.S. Senate. He reportedly vigorously opposed the policies of Reconstruction.

Disclaimer:  I am not a professional historian.  I am doing this research of the stories behind the naming of U.S. Military bases because I think the knowledge I find will be of benefit to the discourse in the United States.  If you have information about any of my posts that you are willing to share I am glad to hear it.  You can contact me at farmstros@yahoo.com 




No comments:

Post a Comment