Wednesday, June 24, 2020

Here's What I Found out about Fort Pickett



Shortly after hearing discussion about possibly renaming 10 U.S. military bases, I decided I needed to educate myself about the history behind the naming of these bases. My plan is to use this space to share what I learn.  

Fort Pickett is located in Virginia southwest of Richmond.  It was built in 1942.

George Pickett, the fort's namesake was born in Richmond in 1825.  He graduated from West Point in 1846.  He served in the U.S. Military from then until Virginia left the union in 1861.  His highest rank in the Confederate army was Major General.

Pickett returned to Virginia to work as a life insurance agent and farmer after the war.  He died in 1875.

Disclaimer:  I am not a professional historian.  I am doing this research of the stories behind the naming of U.S. Military bases because I think the knowledge I find will be of benefit to the discourse in the United States.  If you have information about any of my posts that you are willing to share I am glad to hear it.  You can contact me at farmstros@yahoo.com  


No comments:

Post a Comment